Translator, FSN-8*, FP-6**
OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates
POSITION: Translator, FSN-8*, FP-6**
OPENING DATE: January 8, 2012
CLOSING DATE: January 22, 2012
WORK HOURS: Full Time, 40 hours /week
SALARY: *Ordinarily Resident (OR): OMR 10,961.000 p.a. (Starting salary/ including allowances)
**Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR): USD 38,394 p.a. (Starting salary)
NOTE: ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
ONLY QUALIFIED APPLICANTS who have submitted the application form (DS-174) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR AN INTERVIEW.
APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE CLOSING DATE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. ____________________________________________________________________
The U.S. Embassy in Muscat is seeking an individual for the position of Translator in the Management Section.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Incumbent serves as one of two Mission translators for Arabic to English and English to Arabic document translations; provides interpretation service for American officials; and provides daily press translation briefs for the Front Office and Mission ICASS clientele.
A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is available at http://oman.usembassy.gov/job_opportunities2.html, or in the Human Resources Office.
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- Education: University degree (BA or BS) in English, Arabic, translation, education, politics or a related field.
- Experience: Minimum of two years of experience in translating and interpreting.
- Language Proficiency: Level IV (fluency) in written and spoken English and Arabic (test will be administered).
- Knowledge: Incumbent must be familiar with a broad array of subjects to be able to render accurate, clear translations which capture all of the document’s meanings and nuances. Incumbent must be able to provide clear and concise interpretation (consecutive or simultaneous) for official Americans.
- Abilities and Skills: Level I typing ability (40 wpm) is required. Familiarity with Word. Must be proficient in formal translating and interpreting from English to Arabic and vice versa. Local driving license is required to drive a U.S. Government vehicle, as needed.
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174);
2. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional U.S. Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
3. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Embassy of the United States of America
Attention: Human Resources Officer
P.O. Box 202, Postal Code 115,
Madinat Al Sultan Qaboos,
Muscat Sultanate of Oman
POINT OF CONTACT:
*NOTE: ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT APPLICANTS MUST BE RESIDING IN COUNTRY AND HAVE OR BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE REQUIRED WORK AND RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
CLOSING DATE: Sunday, January 22, 2011
The U.S. Mission in Muscat provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.